Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Crepaway's Big Hens Night Out

If you’ve even been to a Hen’s night in Australia, you will know that it probably involves a group of women going out on the town, with some dressing up and a few games to play across the night. Here in Lebanon, Hen’s nights are a somewhat different experience.

I went out for dinner with my neighbours Nadine and Sabine to a place called Crepaway whose motto is “Come As You Are”. It is part of a chain that operates all over Lebanon. They are usually large venues (this one had a mezzanine level for functions also) They have food and a bar and after 10pm it sort of turns into a nightclub. So, we’re eating dinner and I can see this girl all dressed in white with a veil and Nadine tells me that it’s her hen’s night and that it’s tradition for all the girls in the party to dress in chosen theme colours. Which I believe were red and black. That’s all well and good. Until loud blaring Arabic music comes on and the Hen walks in from the front door of the restaurant, followed by her team of almost Halloween dressed friends who are doing the Lebanese trill and making a full entrance parade of the whole thing. Never in my life have I tried so hard not to laugh at someone. They then took a series of photos, at which point Nadine suggested that I should go get a photo with the girl. I thought she was nuts, but apparently here, it’s all about the ego, and people love it when you want to take a photo with them. So indeed a got a photo with this girl, and as you will see (once I get a copy up here) I was almost laughing. The whole thing was rather absurd, but again a most interesting experience in learning what to do and not to do when having a Hen’s night.

No comments:

Post a Comment